Forward Operating Base VS Military Base

Discussion in 'Announcements & Rules' started by Garnet, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Forward Operating base style with tents for spawns, lots of sand barriers, and little buildings

29 vote(s)
  2. Military Base style with larger, multi-story buildings

26 vote(s)
  1. Garnet

Garnet Asshole Owner

Hello Gator Gamers,
    About the biggest complaints that I've been getting with the new map is that a big chunk of our server's population was expecting the bases to be Forward Operating (IE: hesco barriers, tents, airfield) while I went with a regular base theme (IE: large buildings, large briefing hall, organization, roads). I'm wondering, do the majority of you guys actually want to drop the whole large buildings aesthetic in favor of a forward-operating, serious-RP style base?

I can only assume, this is what was meant by "forward operating" (don't judge me, this was made in 10 minutes)

2. Garnet

Garnet Asshole Owner

I prefer it aswell, but lots of people have been asking for a forward-operating style.
    Care to participate in the poll?
    Sticks likes this.
  3. Shephard

Shephard Local Horse Fucker Staff Member Owner

I prefer little buildings, tents. Though like I said, you could make the spawns for each factions be the buildings civilians spawned in back on cs_desert that was in UK, as they do use those in FOBs
    Kronic likes this.
  4. Shrimp

Shrimp Guest

To me, the Russian base feels like it was a pre-existing structure on the battlefield being occupied and used as a base by Russia. US looks like a military base like Camp Arifjan instead of a FOB. The outposts for the each country provide the FOB'y feel though.
  5. Josh 3

Josh 3 Dumpster Baby

It would be cool if the US was a FOB and RU was a main base and US was trying to “invade” their territory.
  6. Tayler

Tayler Mass RDMer

I don't think the bases should matter that much to people. As long as a building for recruits to spawn in (door and windows that are blocked) and some sort of large briefing area is present; it should be good. I'd rather see a lot of the extra detail and props be put into the actual core objectives of the map. No reason why bases should be super good looking anyways. You train and host your tryouts.

Preferably go with whatever is basic and could possibly give you more to work with for other parts of the map.
    Shrugger likes this.
  7. Take my word if you want or harass me about how I'm a Marine and don't know shit, but if you want to fulfill an actual all-round FOB style, you're on the right path. Tents, barricades, med-tents, containers, antennas, radio towers/stations, dusty airfield like Chaparrel or w/e. There actually is occasional buildings at FOBs depending on if they're in a more civil area of the province surrounded by other neighboring FOBs or villages. If you really want you can split a big FOB into 2 smaller FOBs, 1 with a DB and 1 more like an outpost. Sandbag posts like guards for entrances, towers, etc.

EDIT: Or you can go the actual way, split it into a big FOB and an small one, the small one has a camp look to it with tents and shit, guarded by Marines and some SOC like MARSOC and have the big FOB guarded by Army and GB. Delta and SEALs could take convoys to and from each outpost every so often.
    Shaman and Garnet like this.
  8. Duel

Duel Owari-Da

As much as FOB's make sense, tents and what not are pretty ugly and they're never used for anything practical like briefings, so I don't see much point in them. I'd rather sacrifice a little RP to have factions keep a proper Barracks and what not.

Unless you're keeping essential and useful buildings and just adding elements of a FOB there, I have to go with a concrete military base.
  9. SHUGA

SHUGA Homesick Abortion

Why not just combine the two styles
    The King Rohan likes this.
  10. Canadian Toast

Canadian Toast toastie trap <3

With over a year of US experience I can assuredly say that an FOB-style design is superior. It provides more locations for small briefings and discussions, rather than massive, empty corridors and rooms.

I cannot stress how important an FOB is.
  11. Shrimp

Shrimp Guest

The empty rooms would make
    more sense if they were specified a purpose and designed as such.
  12. Canadian Toast

It's a lot easier to divy up smaller buildings than designate specific areas of massive rooms for certain purposes. Puts less stress on our enlisted.
  13. Shrimp

Shrimp Guest

I'm talking about buildings like the one with the RR.
  14. Canadian Toast

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any medium-sized buildings at all. I'm saying that massive, unused areas (such as the 1st floor of the recruit room building) on the current map go entirely empty because they're just spawn rooms and nothing else. A series of smaller buildings for seperate purposes would offer more usefulness and ease of access than a massive room with a single entrance.
  15. Shrimp

Shrimp Guest

I like the idea of RU base being a giant soviet era bunker installation in the side of a mountain.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018