MilitaryRP | Map Diary Day #2

Discussion in 'Announcements & Rules' started by Garnet, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Garnet

Garnet Asshole Owner

might aswell since I've been extra insecure with Tayler told me none of you really like my maps, but you pretend to so "I don't get angry/offended". I'd like to make sure you guys are happy with the changes, and not just pretending to be happy, because it'd be a shame to release a map and get disrespected by my own community privately.

Please post your reviews/propose changes.
    SHUGA likes this.
  2. Despite the map looking extra fucking nuts people are more concerned about class changes/donation related shit. At least that is what I heard and I could agree with them seeing as how some have spent like $50+
    Shrimp and Bush like this.
  3. Raul

Raul Hardcore

Going off of this, the mapping you have been doing for the community is nothing short of amazing honestly. However, the current iteration of the map, in many peoples opinions, is perfectly fine right now. Some people are getting riled up because their donation support thing hasn't been processed.
  4. Duel

Duel Owari-Da

It looks to me more like an insane asylum that forces just so happen to be using rather than a re-done or refurbished military instillation. I know you're going for that gritty dark abandoned feel, but maybe having some more iconic buildings or indicators letting the player look and see that they're in a place that's been converted into a base might help.

Maybe add some lined up military vehicles as props, some light drill obstructions, watchtowers, etc. The lighting also seems really dark, and one of the complaints I hear, at least on the current map, is that rooms in Town are too dark to notice anyone in, so some extra lighting overall might be beneficial. Other than that, I'm a fan of the concept behind it and liking where it's going to far.
  5. Garnet

Garnet Asshole Owner

Which has absolutely nothing to do with this post, you can feel free to make a post about me/charge me back, as many have done this past month- resulting in a negative balance. I'm currently too burnt out to spend more hours on the support subforum, and i'm demoralized by how the servers are going. Thank you no thank you.
  6. Garnet

Garnet Asshole Owner

I think a big reason behind it looking "insane" is the fire lit, dark environment. Now what do you mean by more iconic buildings/indicators?

I do plan on adding watchtowers, military-esque buildings such as hesco barriers, I just haven't gotten around to it yet!
  7. Duel

Duel Owari-Da

Well a really big potential feature is the use of lined up and organized barracks. Imagine like, two barracks on each side of this open court area and in the middle you'd have a very small training area, more cosmetic for anything, where there'd be tripwires and obstacles to jump on and around, etc. Things like that, when you see them, instantly give both a gritty feel to it and a military one. That's on you though with how much you want to balance an occupied area used as a base with a formally militarized one.

The reason I said it was with that main red building that looks like it's to be thought of as the HQ. It rubs me off in a way that says more 1920's insanity asylum than abandoned cold war, but that's all just personal bias, people could look at that just fine and not think anything of it, I'm not sure.
  8. Garnet

Garnet Asshole Owner

tfw the building asset is literally called MAVER/STALKER/CHERNOBYL/BUILDING01
    Location Pripyat, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
    It was quite literally made to replicate buildings in the exclusion zone lel.

PS. that building is not enterable, it is purely for aesthetics.

I will look into adding barracks on either side, maybe attach them to the buildings, or even add prop tents. I don't know how I feel about anything more, that would completely defeat the purpose of making it look as if that's an area that's been settled in :p
  9. Duel

Duel Owari-Da

Yeh told ya it was personal bias
    Well right, I was just making the scenario to make my point, and if you're ever in a rut trying to find out which to do to give the map's bases its tone, you can always gear the rest of the map around those bases so that whatever you pick, the rest of the map can complement it.
  10. Garnet

Garnet Asshole Owner

I'm actually trying to make the map complement the skybox and snow texture. That's never been done in MRP, so I want it to be the strongest point of the map.
    Duel likes this.
  11. Cody Drax

Cody Drax Hardcore

LMfao what? Why is tayler speaking for the rest of us? good lord man. I appreciate the diary series, but have some faith.

Review - I love how it goes from a Chernobyl feel to siberian and artic tundra. It contrasts really well, and its going to provide some interesting war situations out in the snow.
    tgon95 likes this.
  12. Garnet

Garnet Asshole Owner

I don't think he was speaking for all of you guys, but he was most definitely speaking for the entirety of Navy when he was with them, I can't remember the names he brought up. I'm glad you liked the transition, I tried to not make it awkward D:
    Cody Drax likes this.
  13. Homast

Homast Crippling Depression

He ain't speaking for me tho.
    I quite frankly have liked all the maps. Except for maybe colossal because afghan had a rule that was biased in their favour for one of the points. But otherwise. Very nice maps. Now instead of flippers, SEALs need ice skates xD
  14. Tayler

Tayler Mass RDMer

Why are you calling me out like I was the first one or the only one who said anything? And what does Navy have to do with literally any of this at all? The last time I lead Navy was back in December so wut?

I already told you I appreciated the maps and that has been clear since you first started - especially when the maps were shitty. I told you that me AS WELL AS many other people would like to see some things come first before a map. No idea why you're trying to pin me like an asshole here but, the map is still looking pretty good regardless.
  15. Garnet

Garnet Asshole Owner

I'm not sure why you're reacting the way you are, but it was quite literally you on Teamspeak 2 days ago with myself, Shephard and a few others who was like "yeah, we all hated the maps you initially released but didn't want to tell you anything".

Apparently i'm "pinning you like an asshole" when i'm stating a fact that I was never upset about in the first place? must make you the asshole, moron.